Re: Release 2.23

On Aug 1, 2012, at 4:02 PM, Richard Earnshaw wrote:
>> As it might change the schedule, I'd like to understand the reasons for having aarch64 in 2.23

> Because binutils is a key enabler and rolling this out into various
> distros is significantly harder if it isn't in a major release.  In
> particular we're targetting GCC-4.8 for the main compiler support and
> that needs a binutils that supports it.

Looks like a good rational, but this opens other possibilities:

* would it be acceptable to add aarch64 only in 2.23.1 (in case the submission takes time) ?

* if aarch64 comes only with 2.24, what would be the ideal schedule for the release ?

> Why are we planning a binutils release so much earlier this year than we
> have done for the previous 3 or 4 years (at least)?

I plan a release when the trunk is relatively quiet and when I have enough time for it.

Traditionally, the major release is planed for end of summer but we often slip a while :-)

Tristan.