This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [patch] Gold linker patch to provide plugin support for mapping some text sections to an unique ELF segment.
- From: Sriraman Tallam <tmsriram at google dot com>
- To: binutils <binutils at sourceware dot org>, Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>, Cary Coutant <ccoutant at google dot com>
- Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2012 10:21:26 -0700
- Subject: Re: [patch] Gold linker patch to provide plugin support for mapping some text sections to an unique ELF segment.
- References: <CAAs8Hmwvpta-SnSOeRORfnTa+qX-c3p+f3SQpGH8yZUhjf6SqA@mail.gmail.com>
On Fri, Jul 20, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Sriraman Tallam <email@example.com> wrote:
> This patch allows plugins to specify that a subset of sections are
> to be mapped to an unique segment. This is useful, for instance, when
> a set of functions that are determined to be hot can be placed in an
> unique segment which can then be mapped to huge text pages. It has
> been found for some Google applications that mapping functions to huge
> pages, along with function layout, provides a significant performance
> benefit and this feature can take this further by only mapping certain
> functions to huge pages, which requires that they be placed in an
> unique segment.
> The plugin needs to specify a list of sections that have to mapped to
> an unique segment. The plugin can also specify any additional segment
> flags to be set. The segment flag bits 3 to 19 seem to be available
> and can be set to mark some segments which can later be mapped to huge
> pages. The flags which would be set by default, bits 0-2, cannot be
> unset by the plugin.
> Patch attached.