This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] x86: don't allow invalid operand combinations for VGATHER
- From: "H.J. Lu" <hjl dot tools at gmail dot com>
- To: Jan Beulich <JBeulich at suse dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 09:10:28 -0700
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] x86: don't allow invalid operand combinations for VGATHER
- References: <500ECADF0200007800090386@nat28.tlf.novell.com>
On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 7:18 AM, Jan Beulich <JBeulich@suse.com> wrote:
> The VGATHER group of instructions requires that all three involved
> xmm/ymm registers are distinct. This patch adds code to check for this,
> and at once eliminates a superfluous check for not using PC-relative
> addressing for these instructions (the fact that an index register is
> required here already excludes valid PC-relative addresses).
The assembler should only check the operands which can't be
encoded. It should shouldn't check if operands are functional
correct. However, I don't mind to issue an error which is controlled
by a command line option.