This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
PR ld/3351 tests vs incomplete C compiler environment
- From: Roland McGrath <mcgrathr at google dot com>
- To: H.J. Lu <hongjiu dot lu at intel dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 03 Jul 2012 09:42:25 -0700
- Subject: PR ld/3351 tests vs incomplete C compiler environment
The new tests you added make the ld testsuite depend on being able to
compile and link C programs. Heretofore I've been happily running the
testsuite in my situation where there is a partly-working C compiler for
the target, but not enough of an environment for it to link successfully
(missing libraries and such).
Is it possible to reformulate these tests so that they rely only on the
tools in binutils itself, as is the case with most of the tests?
If using the C compiler is really necessary, then that is not so bad by
itself. But trying to use the compiler driver to link, and thus relying on
target libraries being present (and complete) is a big burden.