Alignment of common symbols

Hi,

I'm working on a back-end for a system with low memory resources. How do I remove all alignment and padding when linking common symbols into bss.
I have removed all section alignment and this works for normal data and bss but not when common symbols are linked.
I use COFF as object format and the object files look correct but when doing the final link to plain binary output alignment and padding is added to all common symbols an this makes the whole bss section aligned.
How do I remove the alignment in this case?

Regards,
Fredrik