Re: gcc, binutil linker issue

Manish Jha <manjha@yahoo-inc.com> writes:

>>I am getting some linking error which I googled and found something a
>>gcc bug and binutils version related issue:

>>`.L796' referenced in section `.rodata' of
>>---------
>
>> defined
>>in discarded section
>>`.gnu.linkonce.t._ZN19CompositeTranscoderI10TranscoderItcES0_IttES1_ttcE7C
>>nvertERPKtS5_RPcPKcl' of
>>----libyell_opt.a(rosette-4.0.3.1-libbtunicode.a_UTF7.o)
>>
>>Could you please reply ASAP how to resolve it with binutil or something
>>else.

This normally indicates that you are using an old version of GCC.  It
indicates that a switch table in .rodata refers to code that has been
discarded.  This is normally harmless, as the only thing that refers to
the switch table is itself the code that has been discarded.

It's basically a bug in GCC, and the fix is to use a newer version.

Ian