Re: [Patch,AVR]: Fix PR13697: Wrong symbols with --gc-sections

Hans-Peter Nilsson schrieb:
On Mon, 28 May 2012, Georg-Johann Lay wrote:
This bug is because an empty .data will be removed by the ld machinery.

I think that bug has been fixed, at least, if you add a symbol-setting (one without PROVIDE) which seems slightly better than decorating input .data sections with KEEP, which just stops --gc-sections for *any* input .data.

ld/
    PR 13697
    * scripttempl/avr.sc (.data): Keep it.

(bah, I have to cutnpaste; pine doesn't quote attachments):
    *(.data)
+    /* --gc-sections will delete empty .data. This leads to wrong start
+       addresses for subsequent sections because -Tdata= from the command
+       line will have no effect, see PR13697.  Thus, keep .data  */
+    KEEP (*(.data))

"KEEP" is a decoration, not a separate statement. At a minimum, drop the first "*(.data). It's at least confusing, but might add a second copy, I'm not sure.

I am definitely no linker hero... it's just like

    *(.vectors)
    KEEP(*(.vectors))

or

   *(.init0)  /* Start here after reset.  */
    KEEP (*(.init0))
    *(.init1)
    KEEP (*(.init1))

and many others. So all this in the avr ls script is plain wrong?

Try without --gc-sections and gc:able .data.

er... sorry, would you outline this? I searched for "gc:able" documentation but with no avail.

Though, adding a symbol should do it, at least for a corrected
linker.

You mean adding a symbol to .data by letting the compiler add a symbol in .data for each module?