This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: dwz-0.1 - DWARF compression tool
- From: Mark Wielaard <mjw at redhat dot com>
- To: Jakub Jelinek <jakub at redhat dot com>
- Cc: Mike Dupont <jamesmikedupont at googlemail dot com>, gcc at gcc dot gnu dot org, binutils at sourceware dot org, Roland McGrath <mcgrathr at google dot com>, Cary Coutant <ccoutant at google dot com>, Tom Tromey <tromey at redhat dot com>
- Date: Wed, 18 Apr 2012 14:35:57 +0200
- Subject: Re: dwz-0.1 - DWARF compression tool
- References: <20120418073657.GC16117@tyan-ft48-01.lab.bos.redhat.com> <CAF0qKV1TWHaxo9PmPGu-HxHenHw+SZ2Hfrtfg0BoFbg3r7J3ew@mail.gmail.com> <20120418122645.GF16117@tyan-ft48-01.lab.bos.redhat.com>
On Wed, Apr 18, 2012 at 02:26:45PM +0200, Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> Of course there is a lot of DWARF duplication in between different
> libraries, or binaries, or e.g. Linux kernel modules (which have the
> added problem that they have relocations against the sections; we could
> apply and remove the relocations against .debug_* sections (and do string
> merging of .debug_str at the same time) there as first step, but there would
> be still relocations against the module .text/.data etc.).
BTW. We do now remove the relocations against .debug_* sections in Fedora
(using rpm >= 4.9 and elfutils >= 0.153) and that saves a lot of space:
"This saves ~500MB on the installed size of the kernel-debuginfo
package and makes the rpm file ~30MB smaller"