Re: git question

Fred Cooke <fred.cooke@gmail.com> writes:

> I've been on the list four months and have 360 threads and 1000+
> emails in my account and this is the first one with git in the subject
> line. I figured it was time for a bump! Who has the necessary
> authority to get it done? What does getting it done actually mean? Is
> it as simple as turning off CVS committing, updating the git repos and
> starting to commit to the git repo? (plus links and website updates,
> etc, of course)

There are several different projects that live together in the src
repository.  We would have to decide to abandon that property, and let
each project break out on its own.

We would have to decide what to do with the shared directories.  E.g.,
both gdb and binutils share the bfd and opcodes directories.  If gdb and
the binutils move into separate git repositories, we really don't want
their copies of the directories to diverge.

This means that it is not enough to just do it.  If there is a single
bfd/opcodes GIT repository, then we need scripts to assemble different
git repositories into a source tree that can actually be built.  If gdb
and the binutils each have their own copies of bfd/opcodes, then we need
ongoing mechanisms to ensure that the copies remain the same.

Ian