git question

I have a git/binutils question.  I see that there are git repositories
for the various sources in the binutils tree.  I went to
http://sourceware.org/git/ and I see a binutils project, a gdb project,
a newlib project, etc. and I can check those out. But with CVS I could
check out 'src' and get everything.  Is that possible with git?

If not what are git users doing?  Are you creating a merged tree by
hand?  If so, doesn't that mess up the ability to update the sources
with git?  Or are you building things seperately?  I.e. build binutils
from one git source tree, newlib from another, gdb from a third?

I have read some git documentation about subprojects / submodules
but I am not sure if it is applicable to these binutils git trees.

Is the plan to use subprojects or submodules in the future for the
binutils sources?

Steve Ellcey
sellcey@mips.com