This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [PATCH] BFD: Handle copying of absolute section symbols
- From: Alan Modra <amodra at gmail dot com>
- To: "Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro at linux-mips dot org>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org, Richard Sandiford <rdsandiford at googlemail dot com>
- Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2012 09:04:01 +0930
- Subject: Re: [PATCH] BFD: Handle copying of absolute section symbols
- References: <alpine.LFD.firstname.lastname@example.org>
On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 11:17:26AM +0100, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:
> I have tracked it down to ignore_section_sym in bfd/elf.c that considers
> the section the symbol is associated with not to be owned by the output
> BFD. Arguably the special absolute section should be treated as "owned"
> by any BFD, because any symbols defined there are really detached from any
> input section and the only sensible action that can be done about them
> here is to copy them verbatim.
I agree that absolute section syms should be kept, but wonder whether
we're treating global section syms correctly. They probably ought to
be kept too.
Australia Development Lab, IBM