This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: dwarf debug information support for ELF targets in the assembler
- From: Tristan Gingold <gingold at adacore dot com>
- To: Ramana <ramana dot venkat83 at gmail dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2012 11:17:04 +0100
- Subject: Re: dwarf debug information support for ELF targets in the assembler
- References: <CAF4ZLkviLdatCca3cABixQzXXwfAtnDhFx-A_vvK16PpEFwBcw@mail.gmail.com>
On Mar 22, 2012, at 11:12 AM, Ramana wrote:
> For an ELF target, while debugging the hand written assembly code, I
> couldn't see the file local & global symbols defined in the assembly
> files in the debugger symbols list. But then I realized that there is
> no debug information in the final executable file for those symbols.
> Is it possible to specify (define) and/or generate dwarf debug
> information for the hand written assembly code from the assembler?
Yes, assemble with -g.
> Are there any existing mechanisms (assembler directives etc) to enable
> this support for ELF targets? If yes, any reference port available in
> the binutils mainline?
> How difficult would it be if the support has to be enabled from the scratch?