This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Avoid 64-bit Solaris/SPARC -gstabs link failures (PR ld/12152)
- From: David Miller <davem at davemloft dot net>
- To: ro at CeBiTec dot Uni-Bielefeld dot DE
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 16:12:24 -0500 (EST)
- Subject: Re: Avoid 64-bit Solaris/SPARC -gstabs link failures (PR ld/12152)
- References: <yddboogywds.fsf@manam.CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
From: Rainer Orth <ro@CeBiTec.Uni-Bielefeld.DE>
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2012 20:05:51 +0100
> It seems this is a known issue and R_SPARC_32 relocs are already handled
> in bfd/elfxx-sparc.c (_bfd_sparc_elf_relocate_section). The following
> patch handles R_SPARC_UA32 in the same way and makes all those failures
> go away.
Every time I've done significant work on the sparc BFD elf backend
I've looked at this piece of code and scratched my head.
I'd like to know why it's OK to just let the relocation overflow in
these cases, doesn't it make the debugging information unusable and