This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: [patch ob] Disallow -pie and -static
- From: Ian Lance Taylor <iant at google dot com>
- To: Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo dot org>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org, Cary Coutant <ccoutant at google dot com>
- Date: Mon, 27 Feb 2012 09:41:22 -0800
- Subject: Re: [patch ob] Disallow -pie and -static
- Authentication-results: mr.google.com; spf=pass (google.com: domain of firstname.lastname@example.org designates 10.68.225.164 as permitted sender) email@example.com; dkim=pass firstname.lastname@example.org
- References: <CAHACq4opBkVnoOkOpkwKDu7CQ5g-Cb1Z0EKaCO-YRHDFWQT41Q@mail.gmail.com> <email@example.com>
Mike Frysinger <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> On Tuesday 14 February 2012 19:48:43 Cary Coutant wrote:
>> I'm committing this patch under the trivial and obvious rule. If -pie
>> and -static are both given together, gold will currently issue an
>> internal error.
> shouldn't there be a bug to fix this then ? there's no technical reason for
> disallowing static pie's from the perspective of the linker ...
On GNU/Linux a PIE is just an executable shared library. How would you
implement a statically linked PIE?