Re: Strange ARM issue: wrong exception table type?

On Thu, Feb 02, 2012 at 03:31:15PM +0000, david.hagood@gmail.com wrote:
> > David,
> > What toolchain are you using?  If it is not a current binutils can you try
> > with current HEAD?
> I've tried both the CodeSourcery version and 2.2.0:
>
> CodeSourcery versions:
>
> arm-none-linux-gnueabi-objdump --version; arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++
> --version; arm-none-linux-gnueabi-as --version
> GNU objdump (Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q3-67) 2.19.51.20090709
> This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
> the GNU General Public License version 3 or (at your option) any later
> version.
> This program has absolutely no warranty.
> arm-none-linux-gnueabi-g++ (Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q3-67) 4.4.1
>
> GNU assembler (Sourcery G++ Lite 2009q3-67) 2.19.51.20090709
> This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
> the GNU General Public License version 3 or later.
> This program has absolutely no warranty.
> This assembler was configured for a target of `arm-none-linux-gnueabi'.
>
> Mainline versions:
> arm-linux-gnueabi-objdump --version; arm-linux-gnueabi-g++ --version;
> arm-linux-gnueabi-as --version
> GNU objdump (GNU Binutils) 2.20.1.20100303
> This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
> the GNU General Public License version 3 or (at your option) any later
> version.
> This program has absolutely no warranty.
> arm-linux-gnueabi-g++ (GCC) 4.6.1
>
> GNU assembler (GNU Binutils) 2.20.1.20100303
> This program is free software; you may redistribute it under the terms of
> the GNU General Public License version 3 or later.
> This program has absolutely no warranty.
> This assembler was configured for a target of `arm-linux-gnueabi'.

Can you try latest trunk or binutils 2.22?

> > If possible can you provide the assembler source and the output of readelf
> > -u on both object files?
> Sure - how best should I do this, as an attached tgz?

If it is very large please open a bug in BugZilla to attach the files to and
track this issue better: http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/

> > Have you tried *exactly* the same as copied from one machine to another?
> If by that you mean "copy the toolchain" - yes, the toolchains are
> identical (at least the CodeSourcery chains are - the newer chain is part
> of an ongoing, but currently stalled, project to bring the tools more up
> to date).

OK.

> > The symptoms you describe sound like a use of uninitialised memory bug.
> > However we need more information (as requested above) to be able to
> > diagnose
> > the issue further.
> >
> That may be (I assume you mean "uninitialized memory bug in the
> assembler"), but it's odd that it is so consistently wrong on my machine
> and so consistently right on my coworkers.

I agree that the behaviour is odd - its why I need a bit more info please.

Thanks,

Matt

--
Matthew Gretton-Dann
Principal Engineer, PD Software, ARM Ltd.