This is the mail archive of the mailing list for the binutils project.

Re: Supporting more than one CPU with the same gas port.

Nick, would you say that it is in bad taste to try to make one
assembler handle two different sets of opcodes in one table, two
different sets of registers in one struct, etc? I would.

James wrote: "So, within one microcontroller there are two processors
that use different machine code..."

Machine code, instruction sets, register sets, programming model,
memory map, clock rate, interrupt handler, etc. In the words of
Freescale itself, taken from their application note AN3224:

"We have two separate CPUs, with different instruction sets and
different CPU architectures, running at different speeds, but using
the same memory and peripherals."

The linker has a flag for linking unrelated code into the same binary,
IMO it's better to use that for its intended purpose than destabilise
the existing S12 assembler with the sort of changes required to take
the ?approach of using one assembler for two disparate cores.