Work done for Incremental link so far ?

Yinon Ehrlich yinon.me@gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 08:51:00 GMT 2011

On 02/14/2011 09:03 PM, Cary Coutant wrote:

>>> Could you please provide me with pointers for starting - what was
>>> already implemented, what are the next TODOs, is there any IRC channel
>>> to discuss this work and so on...
>> There is work being done to support incremental linking in the gold
>> linker.  Cary Coutant, CC'ed, is doing this work.  I think it's mostly a
>> set of patches in his own working directory, though.  There is some
>> design discussion at http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GoldIncrementalLinking .  I
>> don't know how up to date that is.
> Yeah, I haven't been sending the patches very regularly, sorry. I'm in
> bug-fixing mode right now, and will start feeding patches upstream
> shortly, as soon as I get around to doing a git rebase -i to put them
> into some semblance of a reasonable order. I did post a set of patches
> back in September -- Ian reviewed the first of those and I committed
> it, but I'll resubmit the other four.
>
> I need to update the wiki page to reflect the current implementation
> -- I've had to add a field to track the section index for global
> symbols in relocatable objects, a flag for whether a symbol is defined
> or referenced in shared objects, an is_in_system_directory flag for
> each input file, and a count of local symbols for each input file.
>
> -cary
Hi Cary & Ian,
thanks for the great work. I already changed all software links in our company to be done by
gold and saw an amazing speed-up in link time (approx. 70%). However the faster linking
goes, the stronger the appetite for more speed becomes  ;)
I'm reading the gold sources and http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/GoldIncrementalLinking and have the
following questions:
* Are there specific areas where I can contribute to incremental linking ?
* I have added a link to http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/LinkGlossary - is this the right place to
put terms I learned and/or want to share/ask ?

Thanks a lot,
     Yinon