This is the mail archive of the
mailing list for the binutils project.
Re: Put MIPS .mdebug.* sections at address 0
- From: Richard Sandiford <rdsandiford at googlemail dot com>
- To: "Joseph S. Myers" <joseph at codesourcery dot com>
- Cc: binutils at sourceware dot org
- Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2011 17:14:56 +0000
- Subject: Re: Put MIPS .mdebug.* sections at address 0
- References: <Pine.LNX.email@example.com>
"Joseph S. Myers" <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> I've observed prelink problems on MIPS that related to the
> .mdebug.abi32 section being located at address 0x412cb0 and so being a
> SHT_PROGBITS section located after a SHT_NOBITS section, something
> prelink does not expect.
> Logically being at that address should be harmless, since the section
> is unallocated, but prelink isn't designed to work on completely
> arbitrary valid ELF binaries (it needs cooperation from the linker).
> As this section is an unallocated section much like .comment, 0 seems
> like the most appropriate address for it just as .comment is placed at
> address 0; this patch places all the .mdebug.* sections at address 0
Agreed that that sounds like the best fix.
> (I don't know enough about the other MIPS-specific sections to know if
> they should go there as well).
Yeah, we should do it for .gcc_compiled_long* as well. OK with that change
for trunk and 2.22 branch.