Re: Committed: fix cris-aout testsuite, disable --pic. RFC: remove emulations?

On Mon, May 16, 2011 at 05:31:18AM +0200, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:
> On a related note, are there any known serious users of the gas
> "emulations" support (gas support generating multiple object
> formats, with one selected on the command-line)?  It seems the
> CRIS port is the only default user, with other usage requiring
> --enable-targets=all and only supporting i386-* and x86_64-*
> targets.  Is it desirable to remove this support?  ISTR a shared
> sentiment among those lines...  It easily breaks like in
> <http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2010-10/msg00391.html>.

Given that the emulation support doesn't work that well, I'd say no
one will use it beyond initial experimentation.  I did poke at the
code many years ago, but gave up on the idea of fixing it.  There are
just too many COFF and AOUT target macros.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM