Re: PE32/PE32+ linking of DLLs (and EFI applications)

Jan,

For PE32, gcc emits PIC code which uses a call instruction to obtain the current EIP. After that, an offset is subtracted (usually relative the the GOT). Thus allowing the binary to be memory mapped at any base address.

In PE32+, most compilers generate PIC via RIP-relative addressing mode.

Some compilers still require linker-generated base relocations, and ld will create them if the COFF relocation is of the correct type.

I have no familiarity with EFI applications, however.

Does this help?

Joe

Sent from my iPhone