Re: Section symbols not getting created. Bug? Is attached patch correct fix?

Alan Modra wrote:
>> Well, I think this is a case where the baby was thrown out with the
>> bath water.  I would have thought that backwards capability would
>> have been provided with this change.
>
> I don't recall anyone else complaining, and the change happened four
> years ago.

I don't know how to respond to that. It was a big change, one that ended up causing breaks, thus I would have expected backwards capability even if it were apparently unnecessary until now.

>> Regarding the internal flag / .em suggestion, isn't that more or
>> less equivalent to the patch on ldlang.c I provided earlier?
>> Basically it would revert the behavior to work as binutils 2.17?
>
> Yes, but based on a flag, only set for your particular target.

"Target" means the thing getting linked? I assume you meant anything linked on a DragonFly OS. My modification to switch behavior based on the -shared / -Bshareable command-line switch seems to working so far.

> I do think that asking for __start_* and __stop_* to always be defined > for orphan sections is a rather odd requirement. What exactly do you > need them for? Surely not the dynamic loader? >

The kernel loader is using them. The file provided as a test case of the related bug report is a kernel module. It's beyond me, but I guess the loader is looking for these sections.

Thanks, John