Re: PATCH: Fix support for DragonFly BSD on binutils 2.21 and trunk

Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
* John Marino wrote on Tue, Mar 08, 2011 at 08:45:56PM CET:
Ralf Wildenhues wrote:
I'm fine with updating the file from the gnulib master copy, but please
in sync with GCC, and let's give em the (hopefully very short) time now
to branch, so this doesn't interfere.

I didn't quite follow that.
Did you say you want to wait until gcc trunk branches to 4.6 before
updating config.guess on both gcc and binutils simultaneously?

Right.

Wouldn't people want the very latest config.guess in place before
branching?

A month ago: for sure. A week ago: maybe. Now? Ask a release manager if they want a change that doesn't fix an apparent regression, right now, where they're about to branch RSN. I'm sure right after the branch will be a good time for trunk, and after the release will be a good time for the gcc-4_6 branch.

I'm primarily concerned with getting binutils 2.51 fixed
before it's next release (I saw it went into beta today?)

Well if binutils schedule conflicts, I guess it it better to break sync between GCC and src temporarily. Other than that, at least for GCC I'd consider it a bit of a stretch to try to start supporting some operating system in the middle of a regression fixes development stage.

Cheers,
Ralf

As I matter of fact, I have over 50 patches that I can push back to gcc when the branching happens (I already have the copyright assignment). One day gcc will support that OS from source tree, but it's not going to be with gcc 4.6.0. I wasn't looking for that either.

It's probably obvious that I didn't see the connection between gcc and binutils versions of config.guess. I don't see a problem if binutils supports more systems that gcc. Are you saying that you keep binutils/config.guess and gcc/config.guess in sync with each other?

I don't really see it as a break, simply gcc has a subset of the binutils systems (if it were updated independently). Probably I'm being naive though.

JOhn