Re: binutils > 2.21.51.0.2 fails to build glibc

On Wednesday, January 12, 2011 08:52:37 H.J. Lu wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 11:09 PM, Mike Frysinger wrote:

> >> It happens at build-time and build won't finish.
> >
> > assuming native build.  a cross-build wont have a clue.
>
> Well, you have to test your build.

yes, and when you test it, all you know is it segfaults.  there is no "it
doesnt finish building" issue, and for the majority of people out there, they
wont have any idea.  they'll just start googling for "glibc segfault" or try
random versions of the toolchain pieces until they get a component that works.
but i guess you really cant detect this change since it is done at the linker
script level.  code that used to compile & link & run but now compiles & links
& silently segfaults sucks the most for end users.  at least with a link time
warning they have a fighting chance of figuring things out.
-mike