Re: PATCH: 2 stage BFD linker for LTO plugin

On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 10:07 PM, H.J. Lu <hjl.tools@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Dec 3, 2010 at 6:34 PM, H.J. Lu <hjl.tools@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> ?Any chance you could send a complete diff?
>>>

>> I will submit a complete diff after I fix a few corner cases.
>> In the meantime, you can clone my git tree and do a "git diff".
>>

> Hi,
>
> This patch implements 2 stage BFD linker for LTO plugin.
> It works with current LTO API on all cases I tested.
>
> Known issue: ?--whole-archive will call plugin on archives with IR
> in stage 2 linking. But ld never calls plugin to get back object files.
> I will try to avoid it in a follow up patch.

This turns out not a problem. In stage 2 linking, for --whole-archive
we call plugin to get symbols in the IR element of an archive and
it will be ignored for stage 2 linking.  It is OK since we already get
the trans object files back for stage 2 linking.

BTW, the new linker passed bootstrap-lto with all default languages.
I am planning to include this patch in the next Linux binutils.

--
H.J.