Re: difference between 32 bit and 64 bit .so

On Friday, July 23, 2010 06:45:23 Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 06:39:17AM -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
> > On Friday, July 23, 2010 06:33:10 Jakub Jelinek wrote:
> > for many people, the security aspect is irrelevant.  if the process has
> > the ability to change the protection on its pages, the fact that the
> > ldso made
>
> The textrels means that you need to give such an ability to the process.
> Without them you can forbid changing protection from W to X (and mapping
> WX).

true, but still not necessarily important to everyone

> > > Just use x86-64 instead of x86 if speed is a problem.
> >
> > sure, i'll let the people running proven hardware know that they need to
> > "upgrade" all of it to address issues they could care less about
>
> It has been very hard to buy a 32-bit only x86 box which would have
> reasonable performance for many years now, so I don't think people need to
> do any upgrade.  If they are using Atoms, they probably care about other
> things than speed.

like most things, it isnt about getting the absolute best.  it's about getting
"good enough".  running older x86 hardware that can do the job it needs to
with the faster php means people dont need to spend money & time on rebuilding
systems.  i'm still running 32bit systems on critical websites that customers
use everyday.  as the machines break down, they do get replaced by newer shiny
x86_64 boxes, but if they're still working, then there's no reason at all to
force the transition.
-mike