difference between 32 bit and 64 bit .so

Hello,

I am sorry if this is not related to the group but I do know of any
other place where I can find the answer to my question.

I recently saw that while building a .so dynamic library on 32 bit
linux machines (Intel processor), it is ok if you omit the -fpic flag.
You can still link these libraries correctly. However the same is not
true on 64 bit machines ie you do need the -fpic flag.

I see from here -
http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/hardened/pic-internals.xml?style=printable
why this works on 32 bit machines. (the linker doing some magic to
effectively create "private per process" copies of the libraries with
the correct relocations etc.

I am wondering why this stops working on 64 bit machines?

Thanks a lot :)