Re: [patch] PR ld/11817 Revert part of compressed debug patch to fix ld breakage

On Fri, Jul 16, 2010 at 2:32 PM, Cary Coutant <ccoutant@google.com> wrote:
>> I started working on compressed debug section support. My changes
>> are on the hjl/compress branch at:
>>
>> http://git.kernel.org/?p=devel/binutils/hjl/x86.git;a=summary
>
> Thanks, that looks good. It looks like it's set up so that bfd clients
> will see the section name without the 'z', so the existing code in
> binutils and gdb that decompresses the .zdebug sections simply won't
> trigger. I imagine that code can eventually be removed.

That will be in my next patch.

> If I understand your changes, it looks like you'll read and decompress
> the section into a buffer when the file is opened, right? Knowing that
> the decompressed size is easily obtained from the first 12 bytes of
> the section, wouldn't it be easy enough to just set the section size
> the to decompressed value and defer the actual reading and
> decompression until needed?

That is a good idea. I will see what I can do.

> I was thinking the right way to do this would probably be to keep the
> section name unchanged, but change the section type from SHT_PROGBITS
> to SHT_GNU_COMPRESSED_BITS.

Doing this may trigger more changes. In theory,  no one should
depend on section name. You can get the original section name
by checking the new decompressed bit.

--
H.J.