Re: [Patch] [MIPS] Add -mips16e option to gas

"Maciej W. Rozycki" <macro@codesourcery.com> writes:
> On Sun, 23 May 2010, Richard Sandiford wrote:
>> FWIW, we did discuss this with MTI a few years back and "agreed"
>> (as I remember it ;-)) that the -mips16e option wasn't really
>> worthwhile, and that FSF compatibility wasn't necessary.
>
>  For the record -- here's the original discussion about the GCC
> counterpart and the larger change proposed to GAS back then:

> http://sourceware.org/ml/binutils/2005-06/msg00177.html
>
> Now the option would only serve the purpose of some old Makefiles that
> could have left lingering here or there.  But five years on perhaps that
> does not really matter anymore -- it should be easy enough to delete that
> "e" wherever it still sticks I suppose...

FWIW, I was actually thinking of a later off-list discussion with some
guys from MTI (around 2007, I think).  I was less on-the-fence about
the whole thing by then. ;-)

Anyway, thanks Catherine for deciding to leave things be.  I agree that's
the best thing at this stage.

Richard