Re: [vms/committed]: generate and write the GST

On May 26, 2010, at 3:07 PM, h.becker wrote:

> Tristan Gingold wrote:
>
>> the GST is the global symbol table, ie the symbol table in a executable.  With this patch, the linker
>> is now able to write it, which is required to debug an executable.
>
> The GST is not "required" to debug an executable.

I agree that the GST is not required and that the DST should be enough.  *But* I was unable to
use debug with files without GST, hence my comment.

>> --- 1632,1639 ----
>>          return RELC_SHR_BASE + PRIV2 (h->sym->owner, shr_index);
>>        else
>>          {
>> !           /* Can this happen (non-relocatable symg) ?  I'd like to see
>> !              an example.  */
>>            abort ();
>>          }
>>      }
> An EGSD$C_SYMG with EGSY$V_REL==0? Easily:
> $ cre x.mar
> whatever==4711
> .end
> $ mac x
> $ link x/share,tt:/opt
> symbol_v=(whatever=data)
> ^Z
> $

Right, but is it different from a REL symbol, given that the section is an absolute section ?
What is the meaning of the REL flag for SYMG ?

Thanks,
Tristan.