Re: [Patch] [MIPS] Add -mips16e option to gas

Richard Sandiford wrote:
Catherine Moore <clm@codesourcery.com> writes:
This patch adds the -mips16e option to gas enabling backwards compatibility with the SDE toolchain.

FWIW, we did discuss this with MTI a few years back and "agreed" (as I remember it ;-)) that the -mips16e option wasn't really worthwhile, and that FSF compatibility wasn't necessary. -mips16 is effectively a mode selection that flips between 16-bit and 32-bit instruction encodings, and as such there isn't any need for a separate option to say that the MIPS16 encoding on certain architectures supports more instructions than on other architectures. There's no non-MIPS32 or non-MIPS64 archicture that supports the full MIPS16e encoding and no MIPS32 or MIPS64 architecture that supports only the "old" MIPS16 encoding. Adding -mips16e risks confusing people about what -mips16 actually means.

Hi Richard,
Based on this comment and Maciej's pointer to the original discussion, I am withdrawing this patch from consideration.
Thanks,
Catherine