Re: Fwd: [patch ld]: Enable autoimport for x64 by default

2010/5/16 Kai Tietz <ktietz70@googlemail.com>:
> 2010/5/16 Dave Korn <dave.korn.cygwin@gmail.com>:
>> On 16/05/2010 14:49, Kai Tietz wrote:
>>
>>> this patch set autoimport enabled for x64 targets by default.
>>> Additionally it removes the option for pseudo-relocation-v1, as for
>>> this target it would lead to an crash if using it.
>>
>> ?So, after this change, the linker will have two options,
>> "enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc" and "enable-runtime-pseudo-reloc-v2", both of
>> which mean the same thing and do nothing because they're the default anyway,
>> and no option at all that refers to -v1. ?I think that's going to seem a bit
>> peculiar to users!
>
> Well, the -v2 part I can remove here, too. The v1 makes absolutely no
> sense for x64. Therefore I want to remove the possibiltiy for user
> producing something not working.
>
>> ?Perhaps the -v1 option should trigger an error (deprecation message?) rather
>> than be removed altogether? ?Or perhaps you should remove both -v1 and -v2
>> variants and just have the generic enable/disable options?
>
> Ok, I'll remove -v2. I wanted to keep this for having same options for
> x86 and x64, but on a second thought, the v1 has to be ignored and
> warned, or even errored. So maybe better to remove it for x64
> completely.
>
>>> ? ? ? ?* pep.em (gld_${EMULATION_NAME}_before_parse): Set auto-import
>>> ? ? ? ?default enabled.
>>> ? ? ? ?(gld_${EMULATION_NAME}_get_script): Check for rdata merge into data
>>> ? ? ? ?by pseudo-relocation-kind, too.
>>> ? ? ? ?(enum options): Remove OPTION_DLL_ENABLE_RUNTIME_PSEUDO_RELOC_V1.
>>> ? ? ? ?(gld${EMULATION_NAME}_add_options): Likewise.
>>> ? ? ? ?(gld${EMULATION_NAME}_handle_option): Likewise.
>>> ? ? ? ?(pep_find_data_imports): Remove warning about back-door
>>> ? ? ? ?enable of auto-import.
>>>
>>> Tested for x86_64-pc-mingw32. Ok for apply?
>>
>> ?The patch will be OK by me once we've discussed what to do about the
>> confusing options (perhaps nothing at all if you really want).

Well, as there are maybe some users using the -v2 option, I would like
to keep it for now. it is deprecated, but I think we should keep it at
least until next release, and well, in case that there will be a v3
version in future (not that I am planning for it), it can still make
sense

Cheers,
Kai