Re: ld for VMS?

On May 3, 2010, at 10:16 AM, Jay K wrote:

> Thanks. Very helpful.
> Maybe the assert before failing should print "try library /data=expand foo.olb" or such?

Well, I think there are no real reason why bfd can't deal with compressed libs.  I will try to investigate
that.

> Oddly, running that command over all files seems like a bad idea:
>   I got something "unable to read symbols from starlet.olb". I lost the message.
>   I replaced startlet.olb with a pristine copy and now just:
>
>  /usr/local/lib/gcc/alpha-dec-vms/4_5_0/pcrt0.o:($DATA$+0x90): undefined reference to `lib$establish'

Looks like pcrt0 was not correctly compiled.  IIRC, the current version must be compiled with DEC-C.
I think you could compile it with gcc provided you remove the condition handler.  We have done such
a change here and we plan to submit it.

> Looks like maybe I only have the older vaxc$establish in my libraries.

>  I am only on 7.x not the current 8.x. The admin is interested in upgrading when he has time.
> Maybe I should edit pcrt0.c. I'll look.

Yes.

Tristan.