Re: How to configure cross binutils in a sane state?

On Tue, Mar 30, 2010 at 12:37 PM, Andreas Schwab <schwab@linux-m68k.org> wrote:
> Hector Oron <hector.oron@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Previous config.log I sent was failing in other way. My current build
>> fails with this:
>> Assembler messages:
>> Fatal error: selected target format 'elf64-x86-64' unknown
>
> This is a bug in the way your system binutils were built. ?They should
> use a unique name for their libbfd library so that it cannot clash with
> the one just built here. ?Please report that to your distribution
> provider.

This also happens if you build a binutils from cvs with one target set
and install it, then try to build another copy of the same source
snapshot with a different target set.  In other words, if you are
going to use a shared library version, you need to configure binutils
with --enable-targets(?)={set of all targets to which you will
eventually (cross-)compile} so that the shared libraries that are
installed have the correct target vectors.

My question really is, what is the purpose of the shared bfd/opcodes?
It seems that with the instability of the interface and the fact that
gas/ld/binutils are inextricably linked to the version of bfd at the
time of the code snapshot it doesn't make much sense (and in fact you
can see that with so name that is usesd)...plus, disk space is cheap -
a stripped binutils on my machine takes about 8 megs per target.