Re: RFA/RFC: Pass --cache-file=/dev/null on to subconfigures

Hi Nick,

* Nick Clifton wrote on Fri, Sep 25, 2009 at 12:23:48PM CEST:
>   I am regularly encountering problems rebuilding my toolchains
>   because the config.cache file in one or more of the sub-directories
>   is inconsistent:
>
> configure: error: run `make distclean' and/or `rm ./config.cache' and start over

>   Any comments or reasons why the patch should not be applied ?

Yes.  Unless you have actively changed any precious variables, they
should not be inconsistent and the cache should not be invalidated.
Can you please provide me with a recipe to reproduce this (this might
be difficult to do) or otherwise circumstances when it happens, and post
the full error message?  If you could bisect this back to the change
when this started to occur first that would be helpful too (I assume the
autotools update is relevant).

There might be more than one such issue lurking.  Developers, please
open bugs for them and Cc: me on them.

Thanks,
Ralf