Re: PATCH/RFC: ld add -p/-P options

Matt Rice <ratmice@gmail.com> writes:

> ok, so here is the list of questions I have regarding -P/-p i couldn't
> glean from suns documentation
>
> a) does it require that the shared library denoted as the argument
> even exist, or does it just encode it as a shared library name which
> is assumed to exist at runtime?

The best way to answer all of these questions is to see what Solaris ld
actually does.

That said, I don't see any reason that the libraries must exist at link
time.

> b) if the library does exist does it use the soname encoded into the audit lib?

I assume so.

> c) in the testsuite i had to link to -ptmpdir/audit.so and
> -Ptmpdir/audit.so are these basename'd or as is specified on the
> command line?

I assume as specific on the command line if there is no soname.

> d) does ld do any searching for the audit library in the /lib/secure,
> /usr/lib/secure,/lib/secure/64 and /usr/lib/secure/64 directories or
> anywhere, or is this only handled at runtime?

I doubt it ld would search those directories by default, but I really
don't know.

> e) out of curiosity if 'a' is true does this mean an audit library
> could potentially audit itself when also being linked to in a
> DT_NEEDED?

I don't see why not.

Ian