From: Alan Modra [mailto:amodra@bigpond.net.au]
Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 8:09 PM
To: He Yunlong-B20256
Cc: binutils@sourceware.org
Subject: Re: A question about objcopy

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 05:33:59PM +0800, He Yunlong-B20256 wrote:
> 	My question is, why objcopy must adjust vaddr of program
headers? Is
> it for elf specification? (the object file should have been complient
> to ELF), or is it for program loading?

objcopy can make changes to sections, deleting, adding, changing
addresses.  In such cases the program headers must be changed too.

> 	I met one issue: one object file, which use linked as ePAPR
fixed
> format, in which vaddrs should be keep unchanged. But after running
> strip, the vaddr of one program header is changed, then it failed to
> execute.

Please open a bug report and attach a file that strip breaks, and I'll
take a look at it.
http://sourceware.org/bugzilla/enter_bug.cgi?product=binutils

--
Alan Modra