Re: windres testsuite failures on i686-pc-cygwin

Hi Nick,

Nick Clifton schrieb:
> Hi Rainer,
>
>> For me all windres tests fail:
>> gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory
>> /home/rainer/software/build/i686-pc-cygwin/gcc-4.5.0/binutils/binutils/.libs/windres:
>>
>> preprocessing failed.
>
> The windres program needs a C pre-processor in order to handle macros
> inside an rc file.  By default it will try to execute "gcc -E -xc
> -DRC_INVOKED" as the pre-processor command.  If this will not work on
> your system then you are going to need to add a --preprocessor=<...>
> command line switch to the invocations of windres.  Since this is being
> invoked from inside the testsuite you will have to modify the
> binutils/testsuite/binutils-all/windres/windres.exp file directly in
> order to do this.
The described problem is only seen if I compile binutils with gcc-4.4.x or
gcc-trunk and one of this two is in the PATH.

If I call the windres wrapper executable in the bintuils directory I get
$ ./windres -v
Tried
`/home/rainer/software/build/i686-pc-cygwin/gcc-4.4.1/binutils/binutils/./.libs/gcc.exe'
Using `gcc -E -xc -DRC_INVOKED  -'
Using popen to read preprocessor output
gcc: error trying to exec 'cc1': execvp: No such file or directory
/home/rainer/software/build/i686-pc-cygwin/gcc-4.4.1/binutils/binutils/./.libs/windres:
preprocessing failed.

If I call windres executable in the binutils/.libs directory instaed I get
$ .libs/windres.exe -v
Tried `.libs/gcc.exe'
Using `gcc -E -xc -DRC_INVOKED  -'
Using popen to read preprocessor output

So that seems to be ok.

> Ideally there ought to be an info variable defined in the board
> description file loaded by the testsuite which specifies any extra
> parameters that should be passed to windres.  If you want to submit a
> patch that does this then I will be happy to review it ... :-)
My conclusion is that there's a more weired problem which only appears with
gcc-4.4x or gcc-trunk and I don't have an idea how to approach this.

> Cheers
>   Nick
Cheers

Rainer