Re: SVN for src, status?

Hi -

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 04:20:36PM -0400, Hans-Peter Nilsson wrote:

> [...]  Is it really true that git can't pull from different sources,
> to keep the current repository hierarchy?

 git-submodule, it would not be hard to emulate an optional combined
source tree the way that several other git/hg-based projects do: with
several distinct packages being checked out in sibling directories.
If you don't like git-submodule per se, do it with a published shell
script.  Maybe /cvs/src could be replaced with /git/gdb.git +
/git/binutils.git + /git/sid.git (come on, I KNOW you want it) + gcc +
the top-level configury from a new top-level-configury ("uberbaum"?)
repository.

The neat thing about this is that people working on individual
projects don't need to putz with this at all if they don't want to;
they could clone/commit straight to /git/cygwin.git only.

In any case, it would force clarification of the separateness vs.
intermingledness ambiguity of the current projects sharing /cvs/src,
which IMO would be a good thing.

- FChE