Re: PATCH: tidy documentation of ld command-line option syntax

Dave Korn wrote:
Sandra Loosemore wrote:

OK. How's this version of the patch?

Looks nice, but I spotted a couple of long options that you missed:

`--exclude-libs LIB,LIB,...'
`--exclude-modules-for-implib MODULE,MODULE,...'

and in the target-specific areas a bunch more.

I mentioned in my original post that I was working off the common option list in lexsup.c. It seems to me that, for options that are specific to a particular emulation mode, the syntax given in the docs should agree with the syntax for whatever linker ld is trying to emulate, and any changes from what's there now in the docs must at least be checked to match the internal implementation, as I did for the common options.

Here's a patch that applies on
top of yours to catch the ones I noticed.  (It also catches a couple of
missing '[ ... ]' pairs which I spotted while I was about it).  Tested the
combined lot with "make info pdf html" and it all looked ok.

These changes look OK to me from a purely document-formatting point of view, but did you check the implementation?

  I also wondered whether the -Bstatic, -Bdynamic etc. options should be
considered "-B OPTION".  Then again, that wouldn't make sense for the
-Txxx=yyy options, so I decided not to do anything to them in the end.

In fact, -Bstatic, -Bdynamic, etc are implemented as long options, so documenting them as "-B OPTION" would be incorrect.

Anyway, I think we've reached convergence on the direction to take here, and what we've got so far is at least an incremental improvement over the existing text. How about I commit my last patch, either with or without your further additions, and then we can make any further tweaks on top of that? (Actually, when I started out, I would've been happy just with changing the documented syntax of -Map, since that's the one that seems to trip up people all the time.... this wasn't intended to turn into an overhaul of the entire manual.... :-P)

-Sandra