Re: [BUG?] Re: [patch]: Fix auto-import for pe targets

mosfet wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jan 2009 17:31:04 +0000, "Dave Korn"

>> [ re: IAT section ]
>>
> I would like to add that actually IAT can be put in any section.
>
> For instance MSVC does the following :

> So MSVC in Debug put IAT in .idata section and in Release since they want
> to save both disk and memory they
> put Import Table and IAT inside the .rdata section.
>
> on Windows CE family things are a bit different since we are on embedded
> device :

> So this time IAT is put inside .data ...

  Great.  This confirms that what we know to work by experience is also
standard practice by the vendor's tools.  We should probably emulate the CE
behaviour on that platform and as for x86 and 64-bit variants it doesn't
matter which section we put it in.

>> [ re: Leading zero entries in idata$4/5 ]
>>
> Yes there might be a reason but if nobody knows it ...
> I understand the reason to make it configurable in case a platform was
> using it but I hope you won't
> keep it too long if it's not used because the less dead code the better.

  Agreed, I'm basically sold on the notion that if no problems show up in
testing in fairly short order we should change the default behaviour to match
the vendor tools in this way and not bother about the old way of doing it at
all any more.

    cheers,
      DaveK