Re: linker error

On Wed, Oct 29, 2008 at 05:59:51PM +0100, Dominik Táborský wrote:
> I'm trying to build bash for i586, so I have built glibc for i586
> already and am trying to link bash with these libraries, in /lib/i586.

It is quite difficult to use two or more different versions of glibc
on a system.  There are two problems to solve:
a) At compile time, ensure you use the new include files when
   compiling apps that should use the new libc.  Also make sure that
   you link against the new ld.so and libc.so.
b) At run time, use the correct ld.so and libc.so.  The basic problem
   is that ld.so and libc.so share data structures.  So if at run time
   you happen to use the old ld.so with the new libc.so, or vice
   versa, you are likely to get segfaults.  Your existing system
   binaries and libraries may or may not work with the new
   ld.so/libc.so.  If they don't you have a new level of pain.

Attached is a script I developed some time ago to solve this for
powerpc.  It may need updating..

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM