Re: submitting a new port

Hi Jaka,

I have a few questions about merge of the port in mainline binutils:
- when would be an appropriate time to merge the port (not to interfere
with binutils release cycle)?

Now is a good time. We are about to make the 2.19 release of binutils, but that will be happening from a branch, so commits to the mainline will not affect it.

- how do I go about submitting? one patch or multiple
(per-functionality, per-component)?

One patch per sub-directory from the top level please. (Ie one patch for bfd, one for gas, one for ld, etc). It also helps if you have separate patches for the various testsuites, although this is not essential.

what about generated files that are
included in CVS (configures, Makefile.ins etc.) - should patches include
those or will someone else regenerate them?

Someone else will regenerate them, so they should not be included in the patch submissions. (This helps to make the submissions smaller). Please mention the regenerated files in the ChangeLog entries that accompany the patch submissions.

- other things that need taking care of, but I don't know about them ...

Please consider adding entries to gas/NEWS and ld/NEWS mentioning the support for a new target.

Please consider adding testcases to the linker and assembler testsuites to check the behaviour of any features specific to your new target.

Please add documentation to the gas/doc/ directory describing the new target.

and finally, a bit unrelated, as I would like to make a tarball of my
2.18 port - how do I do an equivalent of "make dist" in binutils?

When you say "make a tarball" do you mean a tarball of the sources ? If so you can just do that by hand, eg "tar cfv binutils-2.18.tar *. If you have been building in the source directories then you might like to run a distclean first. eg:

  % cd <binutils-source-dir>
  % make distclean
  % cd ..
  % tar cvf - <binutils-source-dir> | lzma -9 binutils-2.18.tar.lzma

Cheers Nick

want to make a tarball of the built binaries