Re: [patch] stop objcopy breaking group sections

Alan Modra wrote:
Nope.

The ELF spec says sh_info for SHT_GROUP is:

The symbol table index of an entry in the associated symbol table. The
name of the specified symbol table entry provides a signature for the
section group.

Since the section name is changed to the group name, it should be
possible to use the section symbol as the id symbol.  Doesn't look
like a "wrong symbol" or "broken" to me.  If ld is having trouble
linking such a group, then we need to fix ld.

OK, I'll admit that I do not fully understand how this mechanism works. The code is less than easy to understand, and it doesn't help that it doesn't even attempt to do copies precisely.

On a second examination it does seem that the value of sh_info is meaningful, although confusingly it doesn't use the same value that the original file had (and I still can't see the mechanism by which it calculates this value).

But I can't decide if this is "wrong" or not. Your quote said "The name of the specified symbol table entry provides a signature for the section group." In this case readelf does not display a name for the symbol. It is this anonymity that is causing the problem, but I don't know why yet.

Hmmm, I'm going to have to go away and think about this one some more.

Thanks

Andrew