Re: Some useless but fun performance numbers on 'gold'

Kris Van Hees <kris.van.hees@oracle.com> writes:

> I then processed the logged linker invocations, simply adding up the timing
> numbers for real, user and sys.  This was done in a 4 CPU SMP EL5.2 HVM guest
> with 4GB RAM.  Of course, the difference in timings is what I was interested
> in, rather than the absolute values:
>
> Timing        GNU ld            gold
> ------        ------          ------
> real          82.600          29.841
> user          26.032          11.600
> sys           10.976           5.076
>
> Overall, that turns out to be a pretty nice performance increase.  It might
> be useful to note that 136 linker invocations occured in both scenarios.

Not too bad.  Thanks for doing this.  It's always nice to get some
real world validation.

Still only a 65% improvement in wall time; I have some ideas on how to
make it better with some help from the build system, but I'm not sure
just when I'll get back to it.

Ian