Re: Next release

Weddington, Eric wrote:

-----Original Message-----
From: Tristan Gingold [mailto:gingold@adacore.com] Sent: Thursday, August 14, 2008 2:44 AM
To: binutils@sourceware.org
Cc: Daniel Jacobowitz
Subject: Re: Next release

We also think that releasing periodically
is important for a project (quality, testing and visibility).

Agreed.

Perhaps I'm opening up a can of worms here, but whatever happened to the idea of integrating binutils with gcc, into the same project? Or is that such anathema to anything *nix?

The code also intersects gdb, so you could follow the argument to its conclusion and integrate it as well.

My $0.02: Although possible, it would make the release process too cumbersome. Bugs in any one component would block the release of the entire bundle. Letting the individual projects progress somewhat independently as they do now allows for more and better releases of all of them.

David Daney