Re: Segmentation Fault using cross architecture ld command

Hi John,

At ftp://sourceware.org/pub/binutils/snapshots I see what look like a
daily snapshot and daily and weekly accumulation of "patch" files, am I
correct in this?

Yes.

So instead of trying to pull down each and every
module (extremely prone to error for me)

Hmm, well just to be clear. In CVS terms there is only one "module" for the binutils (called "binutils") but there are quite a few top level directories that make up this module.

It sounds however as if you have problems pulling lots of information down over the internet, so pulling the binutils module is going to be just as problematic for you as pulling a snapshot.

I should pull down, unzip and
"build" the latest snapshot to verify if the problem has gone or still
exists. Correct?

Yes. The caveat though is that the binutils sources are being continuously worked on, so the snapshot you pull down will soon be out of date. (This is one of the advantages of using a source code control system like CVS. Once you have pulled down the binutils module from the CVS server you can keep your sources up to date by just using the update command to only download the changes that you need).

This also means that any patch that I or any of the other binutils developers may produce to address this problem might not apply to the snapshot that you are using. (We always produce patches against the latest sources in the CVS repository). It may not be a problem in this case, but you should be aware of the possibility.