RE: Help with binutils testsuite

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008, Fabio ARNONE wrote:

> Hi Joseph,
> sorry for my poor details (and trivial questions); but I'm new with
> binutils.
>
> - my build system (on which I run "runtest") is the linux PC
> - my host system (on which the binutils testing run) is the SH4 board
> - the target system is the SH4 board
>  (at any rate, I have a cross compiler too and I could switch to my linux
> PC)
>
> I run the following cmd:
> runtest --build i686-pc-linux-gnu --host sh4-unknown-linux-gnu --tool
> binutils --srcdir
> /export/project/arnonef/binutils-stuff/binutils-2.18/binutils/testsuite
> --host_board=sh_linux --target_board=sh_linux  objcopy.exp

This seems reasonable, but you need to set up a site.exp similar to that
set up by "make check", and may need to do other setup that "make check"
does as well.

> - 10 tests pass, and 10 fails due to "no such file" in tmpdir
>   and 1 is unresolved
> (tmpdir is created by testsuite in my build system linux PC; but I didn't
> found it in the host system SH4)

For remote host testing to work at all, in practice you need a shared
filesystem between the build and host systems, located at the same path on
both, on which both the sources and the directory being used for testing
can be found.  (There's some testsuite code to attempt to copy files in
the absence of a shared filesystem, but it's very incomplete.)  The board
file used for the host may also need to ensure that the working directory
in which a command is run on the host is the same as the current working
directory on the build system.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com