Re: PATCH [v2]: makes --gc-sections compatible with -r/-q

On Jan 10, 2008, at 2:12 AM, Alan Modra wrote:

On Wed, Jan 09, 2008 at 04:48:58PM +0100, Tristan Gingold wrote:
* makes all gc_sweep_hook coherent with check_relocs (ie exit
immediately if -r)

That looks better, but please explain why you omitted elf32-bfin.c and elf64-mmix.c. I'm not saying you are wrong in this (bfin is fairly obviously ok), but I'd like confirmation that you at least looked at these targets..

Yes, I looked at these two targets too. But their current behavior seems OK.

* --gc-section -r requires a non-default entry point
* document in --gc-section the use of -e

Does forcing the use of -e really make sense? What if I'm using -r --gc-sections on an object file and wish to keep two functions and everything they depend on? Wouldn't -u be a more natural option to use in that case? Hmm, I guess a warning or error would be useful if neither -e or -u is specified.

Good point. Requiring -e, -u or ENTRY when --gc-sections -r seems to be a better
policy. I will update my patch.

Thank you for your comments and for improving the documentation.