Re: porting to 18 bit architecture

Hi Lars,

The general question now: Is it possible to port binutils to a machine thats word length can not be divided by 8 or could we ran into trouble somewhere ?

Yes it is possible, but yes you will also run into trouble somewhere. I say that because as far as I know this would be the first time that an attempt has been made to port the binutils to an 18-bit address space machine and so you are likely to run across "powers-of-two" assumptions somewhere in the code. This does not mean that the port cannot be done, and in fact it would be good to locate and remove such erroneous assumptions. It is just that you will need to be extra careful when you are coding.