Re: GDB confused by -shared object executable

On Fri, 2007-09-28 at 12:05 -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 05:02:37PM +0100, Alex Bennee wrote:
> > Which doesn't seem to work. So questions:
> >
> > 1. Am I using the correct instantiation to load symbols at a particular
> > address?
> > 2. Should GDB check the ELF when it loads it to see if it is an
> > executable shared object?
>
> Red Hat (Elena, I think) long ago implemented support for PIE in GDB.
> What you're doing is basically the same thing.  So far, no one has
> gotten around to merging that support to the FSF releases.
>
> I think it's in both the Red Hat and Ubuntu packages nowadays.

I can't speak for RedHat but it doesn't seem to be in my Ubuntu setup:

17:24 alexjb@murta/x86_64 [testcases] >gdb --version
GNU gdb 6.6-debian

I'll see if I can track down a patch from the RedHat srpms...

--
Alex, homepage: http://www.bennee.com/~alex/
The Force is what holds everything together. It has its dark side, and